Adaptive or Therapeutic Riding contributes positively to the cognitive, physical, emotional, and social well-being of people ages 5 and older with disabilities!
Therapeutic Riding classes are conducted as group, semi-private, or private lessons. Our Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship (PATH) Certified instructors work with parents/caregivers, and riders to set appropriate goals for each participant. The instructors, with the support of a skilled team of volunteers and horses, enable students to safely develop independent riding skills.
Safety is paramount in our programs at TROT. A new rider may be assisted by two volunteer side walkers who walk alongside the horse, as well as a dedicated horse handler.
Throughout the world, there are thousands of individuals with special needs who experience the rewarding benefits of horseback riding. A disability does not have to prevent a person from riding horses. In fact, experiencing the motion of a horse can be very therapeutic. Because horseback riding rhythmically moves the rider’s body in a manner similar to a human gait, riders with physical disabilities often show improvement in flexibility, balance, and muscle strength.
Children 5+ years old
Our largest therapeutic riding program is for school-aged children.
Adults of all Ages
We invite adults to participate and enjoy the benefits of therapeutic riding which include:
- Improving balance, coordination, motor skills, speech, and communication skills
- Building confidence and emotional control
- Improving sensory input and integration
- Cultivating empathy
2015- 2016 Session Dates
- Fall 2015: September 14-December 19
- October 25 – November 1 Break
- November 22 – November 29 Thanksgiving Break
- December 14 – December 19 Reading Roundup Week Celebration
- Spring 2016: January 10-April 9
- February 21 – March 1 Break
- April 4 – April 9 Reading Roundup Week Celebration
- Summer 2016: April 18-May 27
- Group $435 / Semester
- Semi Private $510 / Semester
- Private $590 / Semester
Interested in Becoming a Rider? Follow these easy steps!
- Click here to download Rider Application
- Return completed Rider Application and Physician Release to our center:
Mail or deliver to: 8920 E Woodland Rd, Tucson AZ 85749
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax to: 520-749-0123
- After reviewing your application, a member of our staff will contact you to schedule a participant evaluation.
- Scheduling will be determined at the time of the rider evaluation.
Applications & Information
Back in the Saddle
Back in the Saddle is a program created at TROT for individuals who have ridden in the past and may have had a negative experience on horseback. Maybe that former rider has anxieties and fears that our specially trained horses and experienced instructors can help overcome. Each participant helps set realistic goals that create an atmosphere of success that includes riding and groundwork.
Fees: $55 per lesson or $200 for a package of 4 lessons
Since 2006 TROT has collaborated with the Southern Arizona Veterans Administration to offer therapeutic riding services to injured US Veterans in the Tucson Region. TROT’s “Heroes on Horses” is one of the first programs of its type created at a PATH Premier Accredited Center!